Geriatric Nursing Common Health Conditions in the Elderly Population
Due to people living longer there will be continued growth in the number of elderly as will cause an increase in the number of people who are most vulnerable to and most affected by chronic conditions.
On the whole, the conditions that are most common among older age groups require more care, are more disabling, and are more difficult and costly to treat than the conditions that are more common for younger age groups.
After studying the information provided and upon completion of the module the learner will be able to:
· Describe common skin conditions that affect the elderly population.
· Describe sensory problems affecting the elderly population.
· Describe common metabolic and endocrine system issues affecting the elderly population.
· Discuss some of the common musculoskeletal changes in the elderly population.
· Briefly discuss pain management modalities for conditions affecting the elderly population
Introduction to Geriatric Nursing Common Health Conditions in the Elderly Population